Virtual Tour


Radomyshl is one of the Ukraine’s oldest towns. Archaeological evidences date the first appearance of human beings on its territory by 35-40 thousand years B. C. It is under the year 1150 when Radomyshl, known by then as Mychesk or Mykgorod, was mentioned in chronicles for the first time. However, Slavonic tribes built their hillforts already in the 7th c. A. D.

Appproximatly in 1240-1241, this town was captured and destoyed by Mongols. But in 1255, king Daniel freed Mykgorod and other towns down the river Teteriv from invaders. This was the first large victory of Rus over descendants of Gengis Khan.

  • история города
  • история города
  • история города
  • история города
  • история города

In the 14th c the town became the part of Grand Duchy of Lithuania and Rus, and later of Rzeczpospolita – the joint state of Poland, Lithuania and Rus. Since the middle of the 16th c, Mykgorod had changed its name for Radomyshl.

Between 1612 and 1615, a paper mill was built in Radomyshl. Its purpose was to produce paper for printing books in Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra.

Since 1729 up to 1795, Radomyshl was the center of Greek-catholic church in Rzeczpospolita.

By 1897, two thirds of 11 200 inhabitants of Radomyshl were Jews. It was them who had built the first school, theater and bank in the town. They also built synagogues, trade houses, factories etc.

In the late 19th – early 20th cc, Radomyshl entered the industrial revolution. Post-office and telegraph appeared in the town. Roads, bridges, water tower, cloth factory and brewery also became the part of the town.

Radomyshl was one of the centers of anti-Bolshevik Resistance in Ukraine in 1920th. It survived through three famines, including the artificial Great Famine, 1932-1933, which was organized by Bolsheviks.

During the World War II, in August, 1941, about 6500 Jews of Radomyshl were slain in the forest near the town. Since then, total number of population of Radomyshl had never exceeded more than 9 500 people. This amount of the town’s inhabitants generally remains on the same level until now.

Since 1960s, the town’s plants and factories destroyed by Nazis, were restored and rebuilt. At that time, a new bridge was constructed and a new sport school was opened.

In 2011, historical and cultural complex "The Radomysl Castle" built in the place of then old paper mill, was opened. This is a nice facility to attract both Ukrainian and foreign tourists to Radomyshl and thus to contribute much to the town’s development.

Share with your friends: